Speedway City originally developed with storefronts on the west side of Main. They formed a transition between the industrial uses, located primarily on the east side of Main, and the houses built west of Main. A few houses date to the early 1900s, but the greatest growth was the in 1920s and 1930s.
Speedway is located on the west side of Indianapolis. The Speedway Historic District anchors the 4.2 square mile Town of Speedway. The boundaries of the historic district are 16th Street to 10th Street and Main Street to Winton Avenue. This is the same as the original platted town.
Speedway City, established in 1912, was incorporated as the Town of Speedway in 1926. It is an early example of a planned residential community for an industrial complex. The concept originated with Carl Fisher, one of the founders of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Fisher asked a local businessman and realtor Lem Trotter to find the land for the town.
Speedway Historic District was placed on the National Historic Registry in 2005. Signs identifying the National Historic designation are to be posted in connection with the redevelopment of the Main Street area of Speedway.
Entryways and Landmarks
- Main Street
- Wall of Fame
- Bungalows in the 4900 block of West 14th Street, and
- Notable houses on 15th Street and in the 5000 block of 15th Street.