Tour Access & Amenities
Lawrence is a city on thenortheast side of Marion County --56th Street & Post Road.Parking is available across from the Fort Theatre. This tour creates a loop to bring you back where you started.
56th Street, East of Post Road there is a shopping area with Fifth Third Bank & ATM, PNC Bank
BP at 9235 E. 56th. 24 hour.
56th Street – east of Post Road: Arby’s, Culvers, IHOP, Panera Bread, Jack’s Donuts, Peppers
Tour Start & Sights
- Service Men’s Club and Fort Theatre
8920 Otis Avenue, 1929 Colonial Revival
- Spring Valley Cemetery
5730 North Post Road (The cemetery is across the street) This is the old pioneer cemetery predates the fort.
- Midwest Studios / The Water Pump House
5742 North Post Road, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Fort Harrison State Park Inn
5830 North Post Road, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Old Fire Station / Salt Cave Spa
8899 Kent Avenue 1908 Colonial Revival
- Band Barracks
5835 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
5825 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Bachelor Officers' Quarters
5855 Lawton Loop E. Dr., 1908 Colonial Revival
- Band Gazebo
To the north and directly in front of us is the 35-acre parade field or “The Loop” as it is referred to these days. This was the center of fort activities for much of its history.
- Regimental Commander's House
5844 Lawton Loop West Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Camp Glenn
Was on the west side of the fort, and just right and through a wooded area from where we are now. It was a training area for Fort Ben soldiers.
- Original Officers’ Homes
Lawton Loop West Drive Here on the west side of the loop and parade grounds we see the original 18 officers’ homes varying in size and design based on rank, from lieutenant to captain, to major.
- Home of Judy Bryon and Carl Murray
5762 Lawton Loop West Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Parade Ground Reviewing Stand
Ranking officers positioned themselves here to review formations and passing units. Old photos show thousands of massed troops, with infantry, artillery, mounted cavalry, and horse- and mule-drawn wagons.
- Post Exchange / Maude Building
5745 & 5731 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Building 671
5719 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- The Village of Merici
5707 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Fortune Academy
5626 Lawton Loop East Drive, c. 1970s Colonial Revival
- Defense Finance and Accounting Service Building
8899 East 56th Street, 1953 Contemporary
- Interurban Station/La Hacienda
5625 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Bakery and “New” Barracks
5635 Lawton Loop East Drive/8901 & 8902 Otis Avenue, 1908 Colonial Revival