Tour Access & Amenities
Lawrence is a city on the northeast of Marion County at 56th & Post Road. Parking is available in the parking lot to the East of the Academy.
56th Street, East of Post Road there is a shopping area with Fifth Third Bank & ATM, PNC Bank
BP at 9235 E. 56th. 24 hour.
56th Street – east of Post Road: Arby’s, Culvers, IHOP, Panera Bread, Jack’s Donuts, Peppers
Tour Start & Sights
- Fortune Academy
5626 Lawton Loop East Drive, c. 1970s Colonial Revival
- Officers' Homes
5762 Lawton Loop West Drive.
Here on the west side of the loop and parade grounds we see the original 18 officers’ homes varying in size and design based on rank.
- Regimental Commander's Home
5844 Lawton Loop West Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Band Gazebo
To the north and directly in front of us is the 35-acre parade field or “The Loop” as it is referred to these days.
- Band Barracks
5835 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival Key
5825 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Bachelor Officers' Quarters
5855 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Post Exchange
5745 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Building 671
5719 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Village of Merici
5707 Lawton Loop East Drive, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Theater at the Fort/Service Men’s Club and Fort Theater
8920 Otis Avenue, 1929 Colonial Revival Key
- Spring Valley Cemetery
(The cemetery is across the street) This is the old pioneer cemetery predates the fort.
- Midwest Studios/The Water Pump House
5742 North Post Road, 1908 Colonial Revival
- Ft. Harrison State Park Inn
1908 Colonial Revival
- Fort Harrison State Park
At Fort Harrison, landscape and history blend together at this unique setting on the north-east side of Indianapolis. This was once the maneuvers area and firing range for the fort; now, this 1,700-acre park features walking and jogging trails.
- Officers’ Homes
5900-5998 Wood Road, 1929 Colonial Revival
- Officer’s Mess and Club
(The Garrison), c. 1940s Colonial Revival
- Regimental Artillery and Combat Engineer Barracks
9045 East 59th Street, 1929 Colonial Revival
- New Homes on Wheeler Road
To our right are new homes being built where other military barracks once stood, as well as dozens of horse and mule stables that used to be here, back when the army needed thousands of mules and horses to pull supply wagons and artillery.
- Defense Finance and Accounting Service Building/Schoen Field
8899 East 56th Street, 1953 Contemporary
- Camp Glenn
A training area for Fort Ben soldiers, and later served as a site for the post-World War I Civilian Military Training Corps (CMTC) program.
- 701 – 705 Scout Road
On our right are the camp’s showers and latrines for the cadets, now rentable space through the state park for gatherings and activities.
- Trailer Court Road
In this area are the horse stables once used for cavalry training as well as mess hall facilities for soldiers and later the POWs. Now, the stables provide horseback riding for park guests.
- Museum of 20th Century Warfare
5807 Glenn Road. This is the Museum of 20th Century Warfare, operated by volunteers and open to the public and free with admission to the park.
- Interurban Station and Bakery Interurban Station/La Hacienda
1908 Colonial Revival